Usually, when we consider the design and appearance of our home, we simply talk about the aesthetic aspects of the specific style, decorating pieces, and design trends.
We choose features that appeal to our style and comfort, but this is only one piece of the puzzle. When it comes to completing your home interior design, it is important to keep in mind that everything from the textures and colors you use to the scents and sounds you incorporate can directly impact your family’s mood and level of happiness. You should take into consideration the philological effect of interior design on your subconscious. Pretty soon you will realize that your emotions and perceptions depend on the choices that you make when deciding how your home will look. You should use information about the psychological side of decor in order to create a design that works for your body and soul.
It’s no surprise that colors are powerful. How you experience the world and how your environment effects on your moods and emotions depend on the colors that surround you. You should keep in mind that simply by adding a certain shade or a combination of colors, you can change your mood and the perception of your room. When it comes to colors, you should remember:
- Red is a symbol of power and passion. This color raises a room’s energy level. Red makes people more stimulated to talk. You should use it to warm up your space and make it feel more intimate. If you combine red with other shades and colors, it will create even more versatility.
- Orange symbolizes energy and innovation. This color creates a friendly and approachable feeling for your interiors. You may have already heard that orange stimulates your appetite and adds warmth, which makes it a perfect color for a dining room or the kitchen. One of the best ways to use it is to make it an accent. Too much of this color can make you feel overwhelmed.
- Yellow offers happiness, creation and creativity. In order to create an optimistic vibe in your home, you should choose this color. If you want to create a peaceful environment, you should combine yellow with a calming neutral in a room with lots of natural light. Keep in mind that yellow is not a good choice for main color schemes.
- Green is famous for its soothing qualities. It is a neutral color for any space. Green is considered the most restful for the eye and relaxing for the mind. This color is the best choice when it comes to painting entryway. Green eases the transition from the outdoors and relieves stress by bringing the relaxing vibe to space.
- Blue makes you feel calm and fresh. It represents strength and dependability. Blue is meditative and fresh. This color is best for high traffic areas like kitchen and bathrooms but will also calmly put you to sleep in your bedroom since it is associated with calmness.
- Purple represents royalty and luxury. It is also eccentric. Purple make space feel royal and exotic. You can make your room more dramatic or quiet, depending on the tone or shade you choose. This color is the perfect option for formal living rooms or master bedroom. Purple adds an air of lush sophistication and glamour.
- Grey will make you feel relaxed and calm. This color infuses cool elegance and sophistication into your space. In order to bring calmness and simplicity to your home, you should pick grey. It is also perfect as a background color. You should use this color in spaces like bathrooms or home offices.
- Brown is the color of earth, like green, and its natural roots give it a relaxing touch. This color is perfect when it comes to encouraging your family and friends to slow down and relax. Brown represents nature and in order to make your room feel warm and inviting, you should use it to highlight stronger colors like orange or green. You should use it for spaces where the family gathers to create a positive and happy vibe.
- Black is powerful and it is best uses as a statement on pieces that you want to draw the eye. This is one of the basic colors to the decorators. You should use it in small doses, as an accent. Black is dramatic and can evoke feelings of staying indoors.
- White is a symbol of cleanliness and purity. This color is the best for defining a space but you should be careful, you don’t want to make your place look sterile. You should not use too much of white. Use white in conjunction with other colors. White feels airy and open, giving the feeling of more space in a room.
You should keep in mind that bright colors make a room appear bigger. When it comes do dark colors, they make a room feel smaller and more intimate. It is important to identify which colors produce which emotions. You should remember to pick at least three colors, one neutral for the largest items like walls and flooring. The second one should be calmer for furniture and other sturdy items. Last, but not least, pick a third more dramatic color to pop in your statement with decorative elements.
The next thing you should take into considerations is how to fill your space. It is important to keep in mind that every object you choose helps to inform its function. Moreover, the combination of every item that fills your home interior act as and expression of your personality and desires. Jean Baudrillard suggests in his book, The System of Objects, that when we invite guests into our homes, they instinctively evaluate our place on four distinct value criteria, in addition to how the place looks at face value:
- The function is the first important thing. You should ask yourself if the item fits your needs or is the dining table big enough or will those hangings create a nice view.
- Exchange. You should consider if the item is worth the price or you would rather have something more for the same price.
- Symbolical items should be taken into consideration. You should decide if something has an emotional value for you and how to combine a collection of your family photos with your home decor.
- Sign. You should keep the items with a particular status symbol.
You should make sure that your interiors are giving off the impression you want. There are no wrong answers, you should just keep in mind all the tips when going shopping for items to fill your space. If you feel like your home needs a little touch, you should spend money where it counts. You should consider putting a nicer sink, or a modern kitchen backsplash. Invest in the most visible and important part of the house.
Perception of your space
When it comes to interior designers, they use a concept called Perception of Space to make places appear more spacious and to make sure that rooms are as user-friendly as possible. You should use their visual tricks to alter how others see the space around them.
To achieve a larger look of your room, you should choose scaled to size and slim furniture. Placing a large mirror on the back wall is the best way to create depth with wall hangings. If you want to make your home feel inviting, you should stick to warm shades. Don’t forget to create intimate groupings with furniture and lighting. You should remember not to over-build for the area.
Feng Shui your home interior
When it comes to the ancient Chinese art of feng shui, it has been known worldwide for over 3,000 years. It is believed that adhering to those principles can help attract success, love, positive energy and good luck. It is not easy to do it properly with a bagua or an energy map, but there are a few things that you can do to improve the energy in your home with feng shui rules. First of all, you should make sure your hallway is clean and welcoming. Try to arrange all of your furniture to allow you to clearly see the doorway and make it inviting. You should pick natural elements as your decorative items. One of the most important things is to keep your home in the best condition, free of clutter.
The Lights make a home
In order to create a comfortable and relaxing space, it is important to keep your home bright. If you don’t have many big windows, you should use lighter hues of paint color and keep your blinds and curtains drawn during the day. If you want your home to make you feel cozy and warm, you should remember to pick proper lighting. Go by the rule of three. You should choose one big source of light and two smaller. Put a table lamp on a coffee table and a side lamp nearby your couch. You can also add some candles or cotton balls to create a romantic and intimate feeling. You should keep in mind that too much or too little of light can lead to stress and disrupts the body’s natural sleep cycle. It can lead to headaches, depression, and a suppressed immune system. You should understand that the home with a proper lighting throughout the day will enhance your sleep and encourage proper physical and psychological repair.
Keep your home clean
You should realize that keeping a clutter and dirt free home is the most important thing when it comes to our mood and emotions. We all know how easy it is to let the mail pile up and let the clother piles het higher. But you should notice that having a clean and clutter-free home will lead you to clear state of mind. One of the ideas is to create some custom-made storage places to make your daily cleaning routine easier and faster.
First of all, you should spend more time thinking about aesthetics and design and less about how much money you can spend. Aside from work, we spend most of our time at home. In order to make this time valuable and relaxing, you should make your home a comfortable and calm place. There are some ways to be happier at home, you should check what makes you and your family relaxed and calm. You should make your home less stressful by taking the time to tidy up space before you leave the room. This may surprise you but there are some studies that show how making your bad in the morning can lead to higher productivity and greater levels of happiness.
You already know that every design choice that you make has a psychological impact on your subconscious. You should create a space that is equally pleasing to your body and mind. Interior design is something more than a surface level profession. It has a tremendous effect on people and is directly correlated to homeowner happiness.
Above all, it is important to create your home the way you want it to be. Keep it clean and representative when it comes to your style and personality.